Topics

Spelling (2) Art (1)

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Spelling Program

Word Study in Action

This year, while scrolling through the Internet, I came across a website explaining a teacher's spelling program.  I thought it was great  - it supports my Education Department's spelling list and allows me to use Words Their Way.  So, I will endeavour to use it and adapt it to suit my class and teaching.

The Words

Pre-test Words:
Students will have a pre-test to determine which spelling list they will use during the week
(This may be removed as I experiment with the program, and end up setting groups)

Basic Assigned Spelling Words AND Extended Assigned Spelling Words
Depending on student's ability, they will be assigned spelling words based on the week's spelling pattern.

High Frequency Words
Students will be tested on high frequency words.  From the words they spell incorrectly, students will select 5 high frequency words to learn as homework.

Unknown Spelling Words
To ensure students are learning their spelling patterns, on test day, they will be given 10 unknown spelling words which follow the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment